The programme aims to equip students with a thorough understanding of the nature of peace and challenges in its fulfilment. In addition to generic principles, it will enable students to locate the issue of peace and conflict resolution within their own experience and, where appropriate, to seek nonviolent solutions.
One of the maxims of peace studies is that while conflict is inevitable, the use of violence is a choice. This applies whether the conflict is between individuals, between groups or between nations. Accordingly, two major reasons for offering degrees in peace studies are to motivate people to choose nonviolent ways of dealing with the inevitable conflicts which occur, and to educate them about the range of nonviolent options available.
Through the elective system, the framework will allow students to specialise in Law in addition to the main core of Peace and Conflict Resolution courses.
The period of study for the full Master’s programme extends over 24 months. It is offered on a part-time basis (a combination of block teaching on campus for a total of 7 weeks – one week at the start of each course and Dissertation – and the rest undertaken through online study). This blended model runs across 6 sessions, each extending over 3-months, with one course completed in each, with a further 6 months for the Dissertation.
A Master’s degree is placed at Level 9 in the National Qualifications Framework. In line with the notional number of contact hours indicated by the SQA for a Master’s award, this programme amounts to a commitment of 1800 hours. These contact hours comprise two elements:
After completing six courses, a further period of six months is allowed for completion of the Dissertation. The required allocation of study time is shown in the following table.
This programme is offered in English.
All student must complete a total of six courses: four of which are core (compulsory) and the two others are electives. The six courses are offered sequentially, each one being completed (including assignments and assessments) within 12 weeks or a three-month period. This will make a total of 18 months for all six courses. In addition to the six courses, students must complete a Dissertation between 40,000 to 50,000 words in length in 6 months, which is compulsory for the award of an MA.
The six courses together account for 60% of the degree assessment and the Dissertation represents the remaining 40%. Each of the courses will commence with a 5-day intensive session with face-to-face teaching, that all students will be required to attend; the rest of the study period will be organised online either via email or Microsoft Teams.
To exit with a Master’s Degree (180 credits), students will need to successfully complete the six courses (120 credits) and the Dissertation (60 credits).
Structure of the programme
The four core or compulsory courses are:
The core courses are compulsory for all students. There are no formal pre-requisites and co-requisites though a preferred order of study is recommended. The Dissertation may only be started on successful completion of the six taught courses.
Elective Courses comprise two groups from which students may choose.
Group A: Peace and Conflict Resolution
To increase the choice, students may also wish to take one course from Group A and one from B.
Group B: Law
In the case of students who wish their transcript (viz. a certificate showing details of courses completed) to show a specialism in Law, they must include both of the above from Group B.
– IGCSE English Language at minimum grade C (or equivalent), and IGCSE Mathematics at minimum grade C (or equivalent)
– A Bachelor’s degree qualification in any subject from an accredited institution at minimum a Second Class
– Candidates with a minimum of 3 years of relevant professional or voluntary work experience.
In accordance with the National Framework of Qualifications, students may exit with a Master’s Degree.
SCR 75,000 per year *
2 years = SCR 150,000
*Fees are subject to change.
The University offers flexible payment plans and special tuition fees for self funding students. Kindly contact us for more information regarding these fees.