The BSc (Honours) Environmental Science programme is a University of Seychelles undergraduate degree that has been running since 2012 and was first accredited by the Seychelles Quality Assurance (SQA) body in 2013/2014, and re-accredited in 2018. The degree is a broad and generalised programme with a special emphasis on tropical environments and environmental issues relating to small island states. The degree is general in nature but incorporates diversified teaching in a variety of disciplines linked to environmental science and environmental management, allowing for students to graduate with a wide general knowledge in environmental science. Student cohort sizes are small, allowing students to receive individual attention from qualified and experienced lecturers. Students are able to interact with visiting scientists and members from industry through inclusion in various seminars and workshops. The Work-Based Experience (student internship) initiative is compulsory for students in the 1st and 2nd year of their degree and allows for the students to network and gain some practical experience in industry to further enhance knowledge gained in the classroom and prepare students for the workplace.
The objectives of the programme are for students to:
For more information download a copy of the programme brochure.
Full-time: 3 years
Part-time 4 years or 5 years
The programme is offered on a full-time or part-time basis and incorporates various modes of delivery, from face-to-face lectures, inverted/flipped learning, practical work, group work, and self-study.
The entry requirements are one of the following:
• A grade C or above in IGCSE/O-Levels extended Maths and English AND two A-levels, one of which has to be a science (e.g. Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Computing).
• Applicants should have a ‘Distinction’ in a validated post-secondary Diploma, or equivalent (as a minimum). Entry is subject to approval by the UniSey Admissions Committee.
• Technical pathways into the programme will be assessed on a case by case basis by the Admissions Committee and proficiency tests will be conducted as necessary. Applicants in employment should have a minimum of three years of work experience in a relevant field at an appropriate technical level.
• RPL guidelines and templates are available in drafts pending alignment with those of SQA (can be made available if necessary).
Selection criteria are based on the entry requirements stated above.
• Research Officer
• Conservation Officer
• Environmental Consultant
• Environmental Education Officer
• Further Academic Study
Nou Lanvironman, Nou Lavenir
Ms Rachel Onezime
Head of Environment Department
P.O. Box 1348